Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo says he wants to be the best player of all time after being presented with his third European Golden Boot award.
The 29-year-old former Manchester United forward also dismissed talk of returning to Old Trafford by vowing to see out his career in the Spanish capital.
Ronaldo was speaking at a lavish ceremony in Madrid where he received the trophy for being the joint top scorer last season in Europe, along with Luis Suarez, having hit 31 goals.
“I always try to do things well and not just last season. I always want to do better,” said Ronaldo.
“The last five years have been very good and the last two have been a little bit better. I don’t want to just be the best in Portugal, I want to be the best ever and I will work to be that. After that it is down to individual opinions.
“In my profession I want to be the best, and I am making a name for myself step by step. When my career ends I want to see the statistics and I want to see if I am among the best ever. I am sure I will be.”
The World Player of the Year, who also won the Golden Boot in the 2007-08 and 2010-11 seasons, has had a glittering career with both United and Real and he helped the latter to win their 10th European Cup last season.
“The third Golden Boot is like winning the first. I am very happy, it is a special day and I want to share it with the people that have helped me,” said Ronaldo.
“Everyone talks about whether this is the best Madrid side and I suppose at the end we will know – if we win nothing or we are the best. I believe that we will win a lot.”
Ronaldo, who signed a new four-year deal in September last year, also spoke about his desire to stay with Real.
“I hope to finish my contract with Real Madrid at 33 and after that we’ll see if they want me to stay,” Ronaldo added on the club’s website. I feel young and still a long way off retiring.”
Cristiano Ronaldo’s sensational records list:
Ronaldo World Records
- Most international goals in a year (club and national team): 25 goals (shared with Vivian Woodward & Lionel Messi)
Ronaldo European Records
- Most European Golden Shoe awards: 3 (shared with Lionel Messi)
- Most goals scored in a European Cup season: 17 goals
- Most UEFA Champions League goals scored in the calendar year: 15 goals in 2013
- Most goals scored in the UEFA Champions League group stage in a single season: 9 goals
- First top European league player to reach 40 goals in a single season in two consecutive years
- Most consecutive UEFA Champions League matches scored in: 8 matches
- First and only player to have won the European Golden Shoe in 2 different leagues (EPL with Man Utd and La Liga with Real Madrid)
- First footballer to ever score more than 10 goals in three consecutive UEFA Champions League seasons
- First footballer in the history of the European Cup to score for two different winning teams
- Most goals scored in UEFA Champions League knockout phase: 34 goals
Ronaldo Spanish Records
- The first player to score against every team in La Liga in a single season
- The first player ever to score in six consecutive Clásicos
- The first player to score 20 away goals in a single season in La Liga
- Fastest La Liga player to score 150 league goals
- Most goals scored in three consecutive La Liga matches: 9 goals (shared with László Kubala, Mundo and Campanal)
- First footballer to score more than 25 goals in five consecutive La Liga seasons (shared with Lionel Messi)
- First player to score more than 50 goals in four consecutive seasons in Spanish football
- Most hat-tricks in La Liga: 22 hat-tricks (shared with Telmo Zarra and Alfredo di Stefano)
- Most goals scored in La Liga after 10 games: 17 goals (and he didn’t play in one of those games)
- Most consecutive home matches scored in in La Liga: 15 consecutive home games
- Only player to win 3 LFP awards in one season (2013/14): Best player, Best forward and Best goal
Ronaldo English Records
- The highest number of goals scored to win the Premier League Golden Boot for a 38-game season: 31 goals (shared with Alan Shearer & Luis Suarez)
- Highest strike rate recording in winning the Premier League Golden Boot (shared with Didier Drogba)
- First player to win all four main PFA and FWA awards
Ronaldo Real Madrid Records
- Most goals scored in a season in all competitions for Real Madrid: 60 goals
- Most goals scored in a single La Liga season for Real Madrid: 46 goals
- Most goals scored in a single UEFA Champions League season for Real Madrid: 17 goals
- Most hat-tricks in a single season for Real Madrid: 7 hat-tricks
- Fastest Real Madrid player to reach 50 league goals
- Fastest Real Madrid player to reach 100 league goals
- Fastest Real Madrid player to reach 150 league goals
- Fastest Real Madrid player to reach 200 official goals
- Fastest Real Madrid player to reach 250 official goals
- The highest goal ratio in La Liga for a Real Madrid player: 1.08
- The first Real Madrid player to score in the first four league matches of a season
- The first Real Madrid player to surpass 30 league goals in four La Liga seasons
- Most goals scored on the road in one La Liga season
- Most goals scored in five consecutive league matches: 14 goals
- Most consecutive league game weeks scored in for Real Madrid: 8 games
Ronaldo Portugal Records
- Portugal all-time top scorer: 51 goals
- Portugal all-time top scorer in UEFA Euro matches: 6 goals (shared with Nuno Gomes)
- Most matches played in UEFA European Championship finals: 14 matches (shared with Luís Figo and Nuno Gomes)
- Most matches played in World Cup finals: 13 matches
- Youngest player to reach 100 caps: 27 years, 8 months and 11 days
- Only player to score for Portugal in 3 different World Cups
Richard Todd says
I’m a Man U fan and will always be a CR7-Ronaldo fan. But to be honest, as good as he is, he isn’t better that the REAL Ronaldo! Sorry, to the naysayers, but he just isn’t. How quickly we forget how this man destroyed the very best defenders and defensive mid-fielders in LaLiga and in Serie A….He was faster, as strong, was so much more skilfull, had two great feet, as powerful as shot as Ronaldo, was known to weave his way past 3 -4 or 5 players, scored tons of goals BUT also created as many. Raul scored tons of tap-ins from Ronaldos’ creative work.
As important–the Real Ronaldo also turned up at World Cups and won 2 WC’s and a scoring title in 1.
It is also worth noting that he did it in an era when plauyers weren’t protected by Referees. Todays Ronaldo and Messi and the otehr pretenders to the Best Player Ever title–are wrapped up in cotton wool.
The Real Ronaldo, Pele or Maradona would score 70 + goals a season in todays football world.
And as good as Real Ronaldo was, he wasn’t as good as Pele, who did it all