5. Didier Drogba – There is no doubt that over the last year Drogba has been brilliant. Before his big money move to Shanghai Shenhua, he was one of the best strikers in Europe. At times last season, the Ivorian carried Chelsea on his shoulders. In fact it was his equalising goal against Bayern Munich in the final of the Champions League that brought the two teams to penalties and eventually his penalty that won the trophy for them. A truly fantastic striker, Drogba is one of the most deserving players on the list.
4. Sergio Busquets – There are few midfielders on the shortlist that are worthy of such an award and Busquets is the best of the lot. Incredibly composed on the ball, with fantastic vision and a great tackle, it is Busquets who was Spain’s key player at Euro 2012. A great year for him, Busquets will only get better and maybe one day will win the coveted prize.
3. Radamel Falcao – The best out and out striker in the world right now. Atletico’s star player has scored more goals in 2012 than everybody except Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi, and is likely the only player who could cause an upset in the race for the Ballon d’Or.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo – In his own eyes, better than Messi. The 1 time winner of the Ballon d’Or seems to be 2nd best in everything behind his Argentinian rival and it is really only Ronaldo or Messi that will win this.
1. Lionel Messi – So many individual records were broken by the little man this year. Astounding, unstoppable, out of this world. All used to describe Messi, most of the footballing world expect him to win, and be crowned the best player in the world for a 4th time.
There you have it. My 5 Ballon d’Or nominees, for me the best 5 players in the world over the last year. Although yet again, it is looking like a two horse race between Messi and Ronaldo.