Thirty year old FC Barcelona striker David Villa is within touching distance of putting his seven month injury nightmare behind him after resuming full training with his Barca team-mates this week.
The Spanish international, who didn’t feature for the majority of Barcelona’s domestic campaign last year after fracturing his tibia at the Club World Cup in December, has completed all five Barca training sessions since pre-season preparations began this month and reports suggest he may well feature in their first pre-season friendly, this Tuesday against Hamburg.
‘El Guaje’, who last season was forced to watch the unsuccessful defence of Barca’s La Liga title from the stands, has this week told friends and relatives that he is feeling strong and will soon be ready to return to action for the Catalonia giants.
After completing only his second full session with his Barca team-mates this week, David Villa logged on to Social Media sites to express his delight with his personal progress and told fans and followers: “two full sessions with the entire squad! Just what the doctor ordered!”
With squad depth a problem for new boss Tito Vilanova, Villa’s return to action will be exactly what he ordered as the young coach sets out to recapture Barcelona’s La Liga crown at the first attempt this season from rivals Real Madrid.